Tuesday, January 1, 2013

It is 2013!!!!!

Growing up in the sixties and seventies, I never dreamed that I would see 1990s, much less 2013. So, here goes Happy New Year!!!! 

I am so thankful that I have made it this far. I think the Mayans had everyone worried for nothing. LOL I hate to tell them, but the world didn't end on Dec. 21, 2012. I pray that all of you are well and will have the best year ever in 2013. 

Our meal today will consist of black-eyed peas, sauerkraut with smoked sausage, collards, and cornbread. That has been our tradition since I married my DH almost 35 years ago. It was the tradition in his family, too. They also had several superstitions that they followed that we do, too. One, a man must be the first to walk in from outside. You don't take out the trash on NY's day. You don't sweep and dump it into the trash can either. You don't wash clothes or your hair. Why? Mostly these have to do with not sweep, throwing or washing someone out of your life. I know. Silly, huh. But, we have done our best to follow these all of our married lives. I have also heard that what you do on New Year's day is what you will be doing all year. Well, duh!!!

I found this quote on Yahoo's Top Ten New Year's Day Superstitions "New Year's Day Superstition #10 - Nothing Goes Out
Unless you want to be paying or giving things out or have people leaving you all year, nothing should go out of your house on New Year's Day. If your trash is overflowing, take it out before the first or wait until the second of January to take it out. Absolutely nothing should leave your home on New Year's Day, including you, at least until someone has stepped foot in your home before you step foot outside your home. You may want to have a family member or friend visit you on New Year's Day to break the threshold of your doorway before you go anywhere on the first. Beware though, it's said that it should be a man, not a woman, and that blonds and redheads are bad omens."

See, I'm not crazy!!! These are superstitions from the southern part of the US. I am sure that there are many others across the world. 
I am wishing you all a Happy New Year, and be careful. LOL

God Bless,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love your comments! So, please chat with me when you visit!