Friday, August 16, 2013

Guest Post: Jane at Jane's Fabrics and Quilts

Today I have a guest post form Jane over at Jane's Fabrics and Quilts. Thank you for sharing and I hope you all enjoy!!!

Hi Everyone, My name is Jane and I blog over at Jane's Fabrics and Quilts.

I was thrilled when Teresa asked me if I would like to guest post on her blog. Of course I said yes!

I would like to share with you today the way I make the Disappearing Nine Patch Block. You may have seen this abbreviation DP9P.

Here we go...

I started by choosing two colors. Pink and Green. They do not have to be the same pattern. This is where your scraps come in handy!



I choose a nice fun variety. I like scrappy but you could use just two fabrics if you wished.The squares are cut at 4 1/2 inch square. This will give you a finished 12 1/2 inch block. 



Lay 9 squares any way you wish in a 3 X 3 pattern.




Take the first two squares of each row and sew them together ( using a 1/4 inch seam) and then iron to the darker fabric.  At this point it will look like this...



Now go back and add the third fabric to each row. You will now have 3 rows of 3 squares each......
Sew the first row to the second, matching seams. I like to use pins here. Iron. Then sew the first and second row to the third. Iron.


When they are all sewn together they will make one 12 1/2 by 12 1/2 inch square.  At this point I use my 12 1/2 inch square ruler to check the size and trim if necessary. 



Now for the Disappearing Nine Patch Fun!

Take your block and cut it into four squares. One cut vertical, and one cut horizontal.  At this point they will measure 6 1/4 by 6 1/4.
I love how the middle block becomes so tiny. I love to use a large print in the center as it will be cut and showcase many of the fabrics elements.  



Your DP9P is done!
But what do you do with it?
There are so many layouts for this block.
Here are some examples.



In 2009 I hosted a disappearing 9 patch swap. I asked each member to make 25 12 1/2 inch blocks cut them into 4 for a total of 100 -- 6 1/4 blocks. They could only use red and aqua. We had 100 members! They sent me the blocks, I mixed them up and sent back 100 blocks. 

Here is the quilt I made.........



Thank you for allowing me to share this fun block with you, I hope you give it a try. If you have any questions feel free to email me at





22 comments:

  1. I love the block. I abbreviate it D9P I like making it with three fabrics and getting a "floating" design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial - I love the different variations of the D9P block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial - I love the red and aqua version (my favourite colour combination!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the process of making two Disappearing Nine Patch quilts. It is such a great go-to pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thanks for sharing!

    msstitcher1948@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Teresa, I thoroughly enjoyed Jane's tutorial, it's a block I've been thinking about for quite a while. I've decided to follow her blog too. Hope you had a good day. Love Mandy Currie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love DP9's! I have one in pieces, that I put away, but really need to get back out and finish. Jane sent me, and now I am your newest follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tutoria! I will use one day in the future. Going to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jane for the great tutorial! Like you said - what a great way to use up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great tutorial. I want to try this technique in a modern lap sized quilt with an off centered strip of DP9's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane thanks for the tutorial..Although I have never made a whole quilt (which I would love to do) I have used this block and also like it allot...great tutorial....appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool was that !!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tutorial is great, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well that sure looks easy - don't know why I never tried it before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this tutorial and would love for you to take a look at my blog and please join.
    http://watana-fullfillingmydreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved your approach to the DP9P. It really makes sense to me now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great job Jane..thanks Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Teresa! Jane requested we come visit and I'm glad I did. Thanks for inviting her to present her DP9P tutorial - I loved it!

    I look forward to more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the tutorial...I've never made one before but since it's so easy I think it will be my next block of choice!!
    Blessings
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love your comments! So, please chat with me when you visit!